Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Days of Class Going Paperless

We started back to school on Thursday, August 11.  During class, we distributed the iPads to the students who had returned their AUP and signature page stating they wanted to remain in the class.  We spent the entire class period reviewing the AUP and answering questions with the students.  They had awesome questions.  Most of all, the best question that was asked multiple times was "How can we use this in our other classes?" Seriously?!? That's all they are concerned about?!? Those were my only thoughts at that point, and I knew this class would be awesome.  The fact that they want to already begin implementing their mobile learning devices into other classes by far exceeds my expectations of their excitement and willingness to do this with me.  I continued to stress to them that we are all a team this year (as with all classes) but we will be taking learning to the next level and there will be many people in and out of the room all year.  They may make the news, newspaper, be interviewed, etc.  They need to be prepared and represent VHHS and my class well.  As do I.


Some other questions we were asked in regards to the iPads and the class were:
"Will other chargers work with the iPad?"
"Will we get all of our homework off the iPad?"
"Can you view what I am doing on the iPad?" --this was great because we were able to cause them to be concerned here...
"Can we chat and have chat sessions with you?"
"Can we use it in other classes?" --this is before the "How"
"Can I replace my agenda book and just use my iPad?" ---another AWESOME question


Overall, the kids were thinking beyond my classroom when it came to incorporating the mobile learning devices (iPads) into their everyday learning.  They had no concerns about how we were going to "do" something, but wanted to know more ways of application.  They all wanted to incorporate this in other ways academically.


The class has gone so smoothly.  More smooth than I expected.  If it keeps this up, wow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment