Thursday, August 18, 2011

Time is Endless in Preparing...


It is one day before students come back to school. So much time, work, and research has been put into this program for its implementation on the first day of school. Many hurdles have had to be overcome to get to this point. Currently, I have a class size of 20 students. Once school starts, they will be locking down my schedule so students cannot be added to the class. If students were being added to my class once the year began, it would not be feasible to teach the students that come in the process of the class. However, this is a reality that has to be faced if this program is implemented more in the future.
A lot of time has been put into this class the past couple of weeks. Charles and I were at the school until 9:00pm on Monday, August 8 loading the apps onto the iPads. However, we were multi-tasking doing other parts to the class but the majority of the time was put into the loading of the applications. This is the process we took for the loading the apps: loading each of the apps on to the MacBook first and then turning each iPad on and selecting the option for it to automatically sync to the computer. When we turned on the iPad for syncing of the apps, the apps did not automatically sync. We had to manually go to the store and pull them in for each iPad. But, we had a few iPads that I had turned the automatic sync on before loading the apps on the computer. These FEW iPads had the apps loaded automatically and instantly. So, this was a lesson we learned through this process for the future loading of apps. The key is this: have each iPad already set up to sync automatically BEFORE loading the apps onto the main computer in iTunes. Had we done this first, the process would have taken a lot less time.
Another option that we are wanting to do is to have a place to upload videos, debriefs, labs, and tutorials. We have found this location...iTunes U. iTunes U already has hundreds of videos for people to view. It's amazing. But imagine if I, as the teacher, was able to load my classes information and tutorials on there. HOW POWERFUL! So, Monday night, we also applied for an account with iTunes U. I am concerned we may not get it because it is currently only for 2 and 4 year accredited colleges/universities. But, if they were to include highschools, especially a highschool that has SO many powerful programs going on using technology, it would be great for them also. It's a win-win situation only.
We had the informational meeting on Tuesday, August 9 at 1:30pm for my students and parents. We only had about 6 kids of 20 come. The parents and students that attended the meeting seemed to really be excited about the class. They had great questions to ask. The video for this will be posted with this post along with the presentation we gave the parents on my wiki site. We were able to cover the acceptable use policy, explain the class and our goals, and even got signatures from the parents. The parents that did not attend were sent an email asking for them to read the AUP and sign and return it on Thursday. If they don't return the AUP on Thursday when school starts, then their child will not be issued an iPad. If they are not issued an iPad on the first day, they will already be behind by one day. As a teacher though, it's a common obstacle in teaching and not too difficult to overcome. During this meeting the parents also signed a form indicating that they wished for their child to participate in the class or they did not wish for them to participate in the class. This document will provide us with the documentation of knowing that the parents chose to keep their students in the class or not and were given an option.
Ultimately, I am ready to get the class rolled out and going. I am so excited, that I cannot even express it in words. I am nervous. But, I have been told by a wise, great friend that if you don't get nervous on the first day of school, then maybe it's time to consider a new profession. I did a short, and I mean short, presentation to our faculty during our meeting and since then, I have received very high remarks from my colleagues. Having them stop me in the hall, some I rarely see or talk to, and tell me how excited they are about this program and my class and how they can see how much time/work I have put in to it, just reassures me and brings me back up when I am getting frustrated with the little things that may not be working out exactly as I had hoped. It reminds me that it's all worth it. It reminds me how exciting of a program I am getting to lead in our school. I am very honored to have been chosen to do this here at Vestavia High School. I had a parent ask me yesterday during our meeting "What if this program does not succeed?" and my only response I could provide is that it would work out; I have the confidence and support from Vestavia that this program will succeed. I want this program to be great, and the next best thing...and it will be.  

These are responses I received from some parents:
Stephanie,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to part of such an amazing adventure. My child is very excited about being in your class he has been talking about it since we got the letter. When we received the letter at registration my thought was how great this is. Just like life information in the world changes everyday and I am sure it takes years for new information to be stored in a textbook, the internet is current and always update with a wealth of information. What a great way to prepare our kids for college, I cannot thank you enough for your hard work and research.
Vestavia is a great school system to offer this and we are so proud to be part of it.
Please let me know if I can help in any way.


Ms. Hawthorne, Just wanted to let you know how excited I am that my child will be using the IPad in your class. I know it will be a great experience for her. The informational meeting was wonderful. It is obvious to me the many hours you have spent preparing for this class. I know it will be a huge success!

No comments:

Post a Comment